Why AHAs are a great addition to your skincare regime
Alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) are the unsung heroes of the regular skincare routine, whose ability to solve a whole range of skincare woes makes them the ultimate go to beauty ingredient. They:
- Increase rate of removal of dead skin cells.
- Leave the skin plumper and more youthful.
- Decrease the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
But just what are AHA’s?
Like PHA’s and BHA’s, AHA’s are acids that are used to exfoliate dead skin cells. They are derived from natural sources, such as fruit, milk and sugar cane, whose properties makes them an ideal weapon to fight signs of ageing.
AHA’s do this by doubly stimulating the natural cellular regenerative process. At the surface, the skin cells are exfoliated. In the deeper middle layers, cell renewal is increased, leaving skin appearing plumper and more hydrated. This makes it act in a slightly different manner to PHA’s (Poly Hydroxy Acids), whose larger molecular structure means they penetrate the skin more slowly and therefore don’t exfoliate as powerfully
If you want plumper, more youthful skin, look for these common AHA ingredients in products.
- Glycolic Acid: this sugar cane derived product exfoliates skin enhances cell turnover, making it a favourite amongst beauty experts.
- Alternatively Lactic Acid helps lock moisture into the skin.
- Mandelic Acid reduces skin oiliness, making it ideal for people suffering from acne.
So where to start?
Your approach depends on if you’re an experienced AHA user and skin sensitivity. NeoStrata experts recommend the following:
Experienced AHA user (normal, non-sensitive skin): Choose the NeoStrata Resurface range.
- Start with the NeoStrata Resurface Foaming Glycolic Wash. This high strength cleanser uses Glycolic and Lactobionic acids to gently exfoliate skin, unclog congested pores and stimulate cell renewal.
- Afterwards, use a moisturiser such as NeoStrata Resurface Ultra Smoothing Lotion. This ultra light exfoliating skin renewal treatment uses Glycolic and Citric acids to relieve dry, rough and/or sun-damaged skin.
- If you are an experienced AHA user, this can be replaced with NeoStrata Resurface Lotion Plus, whose high strength Glycolic Acid formula is ideal for experienced AHA users who have demonstrated a tolerance for AHA’s.
Non-experienced AHA user (sensitive skin or first time NeoStrata users): Choose the NeoStrata Restore range.
The NeoStrata Restore Range including Facial Cleanser and Ultra Moisturizing Face Cream use Poly Hydroxy Acids (PHAs) that are specifically formulated to more gently exfoliate the skin and lock in moisture.
Non-experience AHA users with Oily Skin. Choose NeoStrata Oily Skin Solution. This is a good first step for oily skin and it helps clear clogged pores, remove excess oils and reduce appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.