Getting Started with a High Strength AHA Cleanser
Using an Alpha Hydroxy Acid Cleanser for the first time, can be daunting. But if you are aware of the steps needed to get your skin used to AHA products you can be on the road to smooth, flawless skin in no time.
Before we go through the steps of how to introduce an AHA Cleanser to your regime, it’s good to know what AHAs do and how they work on your skin.
What are AHAs?
Alpha Hydroxy Acids or AHAs were invented by two Dermatologists who were looking for a cure for Ichthyosis and Eczema. In creating AHAs, they discovered that AHAs also provided excellent anti-aging benefits that not only removed dead skin cells, but left the skin radiant, smooth and clear.
So how do AHAs work?
AHAs work in three ways to achieve anti-ageing skin benefits:
- Removes Rough Skin:
By lifting and dissolving the dead skin cells on the top layer of the skin, AHAs can help to reveal smoother, more radiant skin.
- Stimulates Skin Cell Renewal:
As we get older our skin cell turnover slows down. By naturally exfoliating the top layer of the skin, normal skin cell turnover is encouraged revealing healthier looking skin and helping with even skin tone.
- Clears Pores:
AHAs also work to clear out the pores and remove the debris that can clog pores, helping to achieve clean, clog free pores.
AHAs also deliver other benefits such smoothing the appearance of wrinkles, making them great for mature or oily-combination skin types.
5 Steps to Using the NeoStrata Foaming Glycolic Wash
With 18% Glycolic Acid and 2% Lactobionic Acid, this cleanser can help smooth skin texture improves skin clarity and increase cell renewal.
First time users of AHA / Glycolic Acid products would be advised to start with a lower percentage level lotion such as the Ultra Smoothing Lotion - introducing it two to three times a week at night time and then increasing to once a day application.
Experienced AHA users or those that have used other NeoStrata or AHA products can introduce the Foaming Glycolic Wash to their regime and should follow these steps:
- Patch test the cleanser first along the jawline and wait 24 hours to ensure there is no reaction.
- Next use the NeoStrata Foaming Glycolic Wash two to three times a week at night time, for about two weeks, so your skin can get used to the product.
- Following this you can move up to using the Cleanser once a day for a couple of weeks.
- For those with sun damage and rough skin it is good to use morning and night.
- Remember to always use an SPF 30 or stronger moisturiser or sunscreen when using AHAs to protect from sun damage and sensitivity.
We do not recommend the use of the NeoStrata Foaming Glycolic Wash as a mask, and would suggest the NeoStrata Gel Plus product is better suited for this use.
Here’s to flawless, smooth, younger looking skin.